Flash

Fish are friends, not food.... except for the yummy ones...

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Hanoi day one

Ok, so now I'm in Hanoi.
The trip continued to be more than a little odd. Was sitting next to NZ's answer to Kath and Kim, busy critiquing Doris mags, thank god for iPods!
On departing the plane we were guided through the galley but had to stop in our tacks as the Ozzie in front of me was puking all over the floor (just cos' the booze is free doesn't mean you should drink it ALL!!!)

Got to Hanoi, love the communist soldiers everywhere. There was a little girl on the plane (either of Thai or Vietnamese descent) with shoes that had squeakers in the soles. With every step she made a very cute squeak. Was a bit odd being surrounded by military in all their regaila, and a little girl going squeak-squeak-squeak.
At the point when she tried running away from her Mum (customs obviously wasn't stimulating enough) the sqeaks became more of a continuous "EeeEeeeEeeeEeeEeee..."

So got through customs, spent 15 minutes trying to find the Vietman Airlines desk (for buying flights to Saigon). Turns out it's the 'excess baggage' terminal (of course). Booked my flight but needed Sunny's passport even for a domestic flight, so couldn't book hers (oh well....) Turns out there are VN airlines offices everywhere.

Haggled with taxis and got one for $10, very proud of myself as Lan Anh had said it'd be about $15. However 5 minutes into the trip became obvious the driver didn't REEEEALY know where the hotel was, and was phoning friends to find out where it was.
I had told him I already had a booking so as to avoid the whole "I take you to better hotel" thing.
So I was delivered to Stars, which was all good, and didn't realise until some time later that it was "Light-Star" not, "stars" and I was in the wrong district, having seen, booked and paid for a room (ok room, scummy bathroom, 1st floor overlooking road :-S), not the sort of thing you should do after 22 hrs in a plane.
So I've been for a wander around. I think I know where I am now. Will go and get Sunny, stay here the night and then sneak off to the other Stars tomorrow.

Bugger is that I really need to get taxi back to airport to pick up Sunny, and I'll have to arrange it through the hotel which is more expensive but there's no way I'd be able to find my way back here otherwise.

But the more important stuff. It's nothing like I expected, a lot more china-town.
Lots of horticulture on the way here (to be expected) at least of the people driving Honda90's had helmets (how times are changing!!).
Have taken lots of photos and will attempt to upload them later.
Will post again tomorrow :-)

Liam.

3 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, March 27, 2005, Blogger Mad Hatter. said...

Urp - you fell for the old similar sounding hotel name trick...didn't 'our man in hanoi''s almost identical story warn you enough?

Welcome to Nam! :-)

 
At 4:53 PM, March 27, 2005, Blogger Mad Hatter. said...

Urp - you fell for the old similar sounding hotel name trick...didn't 'our man in hanoi''s almost identical story warn you enough?

Welcome to Nam! :-)

 
At 4:56 PM, March 27, 2005, Blogger Mad Hatter. said...

Arse - first the stoopid blog deletes my original comment (unless you're censoring it!) and then the 2nd attempt gets posted twice! grrrrrr...... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home