Flash

Fish are friends, not food.... except for the yummy ones...

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Last day - filling in the gaps

Ok, now that I'm in Bangkok, here is the run-down of my last day in Saigon.
After 2 nights not sleeping beacuse of coughing I decided to go to an emergency centre to have a check-up. I had a mild concern that I may have had bronchitus, but more of a concern were the thermal imagers at the airport (looking for sars and avian flu) which I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sneak past. I had quite a temperature and so was going to light up all red as soon as I walked in front of the camera...
I wasn't too keen on the idea of having a medical at the airport (and missing my flight) so we took a couple of cyclo's (Dalat and friend) to the medical emergency centre.
Turns out this is what they call hospitals. They don't really have GP's (most locals will either go to a Chemist for medication that we require a script for, and for anything more serious than that it's off to the hospital...)The place was everything you'd expect from a communist hospital. Not particulary clean or organised, with huge queues of people looking really sick waiting to be seen (yaa... not the kind of place I usually choose to hang out).
One of the shocking things was that I was rushed through, had my own orderly, and once I'd paid my $20 I seemed to jump every queue. In about half an hour I had been eamined, had an x-ray (on a very old russian machine that went "bzzzzzz... Clunk!") and had a blood test (I paid special attention when she got the new syringe out of the sterile pack!!).
I have to say I was quite glad to get out of there quite quickly, but is was really concerning to see comatose patients being delivered on Hondas, and hallways full of very ill looking people. Just goes to show the power of the American dollar... :-S
My doctor checked my blood test and apparently I have a mild infection (white cell count is high) and so she has prescribed some Augmentin and a few other anti-biotics.
So now I chase down breakfast with 5 tablets each morning... :-S
It's a shame, Saigon looked like a really cool city, much more vibrant than Hanoi, but I didn't get to see much of it. Still, the bits I saw were very cool.
An hour and a half until I board my next flight, home at lunch time tomorrow :-)

Flash.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, April 06, 2005, Blogger Mad Hatter. said...

Welcome home fishy, it's a pity you got struck down by the generic Vietnam bug - but what do you expect if you have to keep up with a high speed bouncer!

Was it Binh Danh hospital you ended up at? Was there myself for a conference in Feb - the 'waiting room' comprised a series of benches outside the hospital and it didn't really inspire much confidence.

Hope you're feeling better now you're back in Godzone :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home